Rehabilitation and Prosthetic Services
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Services (PM&RS) - Occupational Therapy (OT)
Work at VA as an Occupational Therapist (OT) or Occupational Therapy Assistant (COTA)
We employ more than 2,000 OT practitioners who provide personalized, state-of-the-art care at over 1,200 VA health care facilities and via telehealth. With their help, Veterans recover from injury faster, make greater improvements in their mobility and return to independence more quickly. At VA, you’ll be a major contributor, caring for patients who have so bravely served our nation. We strive to provide a professional, supportive environment, so our Veteran patients and their health care providers can thrive. OT practitioners enjoy long and satisfying careers at VA, staying on average for more than a decade.
You’ll work as a pioneer in your field. Because we are one of the largest health care systems in the nation and employ so many OT practitioners, you’ll have a wider range of opportunities across the continuum of clinical care practice settings, including:
- Assistive technology
- Cognitive rehabilitation
- Pain management
- Spinal cord injury
- Hand therapy
- Wheelchair seating and positioning
- Mental health
- Women’s health
- Health and Wellness
- Driving and community mobility
- Vision Rehabilitation
You can also build your skillset by taking advantage of continuing education, training and leadership development opportunities. Further your education with scholarship opportunities. We also offer OT students the chance to do Level II field work in affiliated clinical education programs/fellowships.
Serve those who served
There’s nothing more meaningful than helping national heroes lead happier, more fulfilling lives. Because our enrolled Veterans are guaranteed OT treatment through achievement of their goal, you have the chance to form long-lasting relationships with your patients and receive deep appreciation from the brave men and women who have served our country.
Enjoy outstanding benefits
We offer competitive salaries, nationwide job transfer opportunities, outstanding benefits and more. With one active, full and unrestricted state license, you can practice in any U.S. state or territory. Our extensive bundle of employee benefits includes:
- Paid vacation that begins accruing on your start date, paid sick leave with no limit on accumulation and 10 paid Federal holidays.
- Affordable group health insurance plans, including dental, vision and long-term care.
- Term life insurance, with family and additional coverage options available.
- Health care and dependent care Flexible Spending Accounts.
- Liability protection through the Federal Tort Claims Act, which provides immunity from personal liability for damages arising from medical malpractice or negligence.
- The Federal Employees’ Retirement System (FERS): a three-tier retirement plan composed of Social Security, FERS basic benefits and the Thrift Savings Plan (TSP).
- Tuition reimbursement.